How can I help you?
Translation and copywriting are about much more than just words: it’s about conveying concepts and ideas. It’s also about how you communicate and deliver your message. My working process includes four key steps: consultation, research, translation/revision/proofreading or copywriting, and feedback.
Translation means converting the meaning, the intent, and the style of a source text (English) into a target language (French), respecting grammar rules and syntax. It’s not a word to word translation, but a complex process that considers the purpose and the context of the content as well as each language’s standards.
Localization goes even further. It is more about rewriting the text into a different language and adapting your message in a way that is culturally appropriate and connects with the target audience more effectively. Localization is widely used for websites, mobile apps, and marketing materials.
What does an excellent translation involve?
- Excellent language proficiency: A good translator perfectly understands her working languages; however, she always translates into her mother tongue: the only one she knows best in all its subtleties. That’s why I only translate from English to French.
- In-depth knowledge of her field of specialization: No one can talk about anything and everything pertinently. Specialized content requires a specialized translator who understands the concepts and the jargon used in your field, to avoid mistranslations and ensure you get a quality text. In addition to this, further research about the specific topic will often be required.
- Intercultural skills: People from different countries think different. Your translator is also your cultural advisor. She knows her language’s cultural connotations and has learned those of her second language, over the years, after spending a lot of time abroad. She can decipher these words hidden between the lines which need to be conveyed too!
- Smooth communication: Your translator becomes your voice in a foreign language. She needs to understand your goals and the purpose of the task that you have entrusted to her to be able to get into your skin and convey your message as if you were writing it. That’s the reason why I will always ask you to answer a few quick questions before I start working on any project.
Most people will know what it’s like to read a bad translation: clunky, unnatural writing that may lack consistency and, in the worst case, can be challenging to understand. In contrast, a good translation can be much harder to spot simply because the reader should have no clue that the text has been translated; it reads like it was initially written in the target language!
Getting It Right is a short booklet published by the Institute of Translation and Interpreting. It is useful for clients who want to make the right choices and get the best results from the translation process. Download (PDF): Getting-It_Right-EN
Make sure your texts and translations are of the highest quality.
Editing aims at improving the quality of your writing: I will clarify the meaning, enhance the style, and remove any inconsistencies. It involves not only correcting spelling, syntax, punctuation, and conventions mistakes but also reviewing the terminology, anglicisms, the flow of the text and writing style. Any other changes that are deemed necessary will be made, including consistent formatting or page layout. It is a comprehensive verification task that may involve extensive changes.
Proofreading, as opposed to editing, lies in reviewing the form of your text but not its substance. I will check spelling, grammar, punctuation, typing mistakes, formatting, and typography. It is the last step before printing or posting your text, ensuring you convey a professional image with a content exempt from language mistakes.
I charge these services per hour as the time needed to complete the task can vary substantially based on the quality of the text to corrected.
Copywriting is the skill of writing and conveying compelling messages to prompt the reader to take action (contribute to a cause, change their habits, buy a product, inquire about a service, download a free eBook, etc.).
I can write blog articles, press releases, newsletters, product descriptions, content to post on social media, etc.
If you need the help of a professional to create compelling content to deliver your message in French, please get in touch to discuss your goals and find the solution most adapted to your needs. Let’s take on the challenge!
Specialized in Environment and Ecology
Examples of industries and contents covered
- Renewable and alternative energies
- Solar energy
- Wind power
- Geothermal energy
- Recycling and waste management
- Pollution control
- Air quality
- Wastewater treatment
- Sustainable development
- Sustainable agriculture
- Organic/Vegan products
- Environmental solutions
- Green building
- Global warming
- Natural disasters
- Animal protection and welfare
- Nature conservation
- Feasibility studies
- Environmental impact assessments
- Environmental audits
- Sustainable development reports
- Research papers
- Training materials
- Certification documents
- EU environment policy related documents
- Technical documents
- Contracts and service agreements
- Business correspondence
- Internal documents
- Corporate Social Responsibility Report
- Press releases
- Product descriptions
- Marketing material
- Mobile Apps
- Social media content
- Press articles